Saturday, August 30, 2008

Elk Grove Police Motorcycle Competition



I competed in the Elk Grove (near Sacramento) Police Motorcycle Competition on Aug 22-23. The first day was just training. Basically, they set up the competition cone patterns and let us practice them. The patterns were so difficult, there would have been no way I would have made it through on Saturday.

There were 72 motor officers competing. They were broken down into divisions based on what type of motorcycle they were using. There were 6 Honda ST1300's in my division. I took 3rd in my division for the Individual Testing. My Sergeant and I were a team for the Team Competition where one officer follows the other officer through the course. Twice, they have to switch off the leader position within the course. Its a tad bit tougher having two 800 pound motorcycles in a single pattern designed for only one. Amazingly, we took 3rd in the team competition as well.

If you're wondering what all the tennis balls were for, if you bumped a cone the ball would fall. Every ball was a 1 second penalty. A cone knocked over was 3 seconds and a foot down was 5. My final run I knocked three balls from their cones. Not bad considering there are hundreds on the course.



No comments: